The Substitute

Posted by Jason Moffat | Posted in | Posted on 10:57 PM

To hell with Dharma Beer, it's all about the Dharma Whiskey in the latest episode of Lost. In this Locke-centric episode entitled "The Substitute," new insights were revealed about Jacob, MIB and the numbers, along side some intense entertainment. Shall we discuss?

Initial Thoughts: This episode was leaps and bounds better than "What Kate Did." I was fairly positive it would be, nonetheless I was relieved when it was. If I were to rate this episode, I'd give it a 23 or maybe a 42. I think the whole MIB storyline is probably the most intriguing part of Lost right now. In my opinion the personification of the smoke monster was a brilliant idea. It's not the island's ghost or nano technology, it's human... or at least used to be. To be quite honest, during past seasons, I thought the monster wasn't going have much to do with the end story. Boy was I wrong. Second of all, I think this episodes flash-sideways was actually quite entertaining. I was semi on the fence with the whole idea, but this episode made me think twice. It has a similar feel to that of the first season, where they did a lot of character building. I like it. As far as it connecting to the island timeline, I think I'm just going to take it for what it's worth and stop worrying about it. Also, I know that sooner or later it will connect, and this being the last season, I really want it to surprise me. So as for now I'm not even going to touch parallel universe theories. M'kay?

John Locke doing an Evil Kneivel out of his van was super funny to me. I'm sorry, but it was. I hope I'm not the only one who thought so. Anyhoo, the sprinklers come on and it's a lot like the first season when Locke is basking in the rain. Later Helen says something to John about having his dad come to the wedding or something like that. Also on his desk at work there's a picture of Locke with good old Anthony Cooper (see image below). It seems that John has a better relationship with his dad in the flash-sideways, which begs the question, how would blowing up the island do this? Even the "Jacob's touch" theory (mentioned by Darth Vader Don in the comment section) is under question because Jacob didn't touch Locke until after his dad pushed him out of the building. And then there's Ben and... Ah crap, timeline theory... moving on. Generally Locke seems to be pretty happy in this timeline. He even accepts that he can't do some things. Although part of me still misses the man of faith. Oh, and Randy's still a douche.


Here's another easter egg you might have noticed. The lady that interviews Locke for a job, (the first lady, not Rose) was the psychic in the episode "Tricia Tanaka is Dead" were Hurley's dad take's him to convince him he's not cursed. It seems that they are bringing back everyone single actor that has ever been on Lost. I'm Serious. Mark my words, Nikki and Paulo are going to be in a Flash-sideways sooner or later. Mark em'!


Alrighty, on the island some weird shiz is going down. For example Sawyer is binge drinking and listening to Iggy Pop and the Stooges. Crazy, I know. He joins up with the MIB and they embark on a magical journey. So first off, a kid appears out of nowhere with blood on his hands and again later to tell MIB that he broke the rules and he wasn't supposed to kill him. This kid is weird. Who is it? I think the most obvious answer is young Jacob judging by his appearance. But it's seems almost too obvious. Another theory I've heard it that it's an older Aaron. Who knows. What do you think?


MIB and Sawyer continue their journey to a cave on the side of a cliff where MIB is supposedly going to answer all of his questions. The scene where they are descending the cliff on the ladder is super intense. I thought Sawyer was going to die. That or I secretly hoped that MIB was going to turn into the smoke monster,  fly up and save Sawyer. Then they would fly high into the sky just like this [only imagine sawyer flying smokie] "Faster Smokie, faster!"

This is where things get interesting. Inside the cave there is a room with names written all over the walls and ceiling. MIB says that the names on the walls are candidates. They are people who Jacob chose, that he thinks could eventually take over his position in protecting the island. Just like Willy Wonka. Whether MIB is telling the truth or not, I have a feeling there is more to the story than this. What intrigued me the most is the numbers. In front of all the main candidates names was a number. You guessed it, the numbers. The names and numbers went as follows. 4-Locke8-Reyes15-Ford16-Jarrah23-Shephard42-Kwon.* This gives a little insight on the origin of the numbers, though I don't believe this is the last we'll see of them. And what about Kate? Why is her name not up there? And is it Sun or Jin Kwon? Jack or Christian? I'm pretty sure it's Jack, but that would be trippy if it wasn't. There are other names on the wall that are scratched out and have different numbers that are not part of the Valenzetti equation. 



Something I read earlier has really stuck out to me with regards to the whole Jacob MIB game. If what MIB said was true about Jacob "pushing" the losties/numbers to the island, then this whole thing is exactly like the swan hatch. Think about it. MIB tells sawyer that he has three choices. 1) Do nothing 2) Accept the job 3) Just leave. In essence, those were the choices Kelvin, Desmond or any other that worked in the hatch had. Don't push the button, push the button, or leave. MIB says that it's just an island and their is nothing to protect. Well I beg to differ. Real Locke also said this before, it's just a button, it's doesn't need to be pushed. Well he was wrong.  

Questions: 
1. Who is the little boy?
2. Why isn't Kate's name on the wall?
3. Who's the Kwon?
4. Is the MIB telling the truth about Jacob?

Tell me what you think about these questions, or tell me some theories of your own.

Again, this was a superb episode. Terry O'Quinn is doing some excellent acting as both the MIB and Locke as well as the rest of the cast. There are still a lot of things that just don't add up right now, and there is a whole lot that is on my mind that I just can't find time to put on paper.But these are the main points. I can't talk about everything so if there is something you think needs to be addressed, tell me. Some of you already have. Thanks for all the input. Until next time, I'm Sawyer and "I guess I better put on some pants." 


*Edit:  According to  Lostpedia, these are some of the other names that were on the cave wall. 

NumberNameInformation
10MATTINGLYProbably the US army soldier whose uniform was stolen and used by an Other in 1954.
20ROU?Probably Alex Rousseau or Danielle Rousseau.
29BRENNANProbably the Brennan from the science expedition.
31RUTHERFORDProbably Shannon Rutherford.
33MARTINProbably Karl Martin.
42KWONSun-Hwa Kwon and Jin-Soo Kwon both met Jacob when during their wedding when he congratulated them and advised them to keep their promises. Both were touched by Jacob simultaneously notably on their shoulders. The Man in Black indicated one of them was a candidate but was unable to identify which one. KWON may also refer to Ji Yeon Kwon, the daughter of Sun and Jin, who was conceived on the Island.
55BURKEProbably Juliet. Her death occurred after Jacob's, so her name would have to have been crossed-off before her death or after her death by Flocke. Could also be her late ex-husband,Edmund Burke.
64GOLDSTEINUnknown.
90TROUPEProbably Gary Troup, a deceased survivor and author of Bad Twin
115BARGASUnknown.
117LINUSProbably Ben Linus, or his father Roger Linus
119ALMEIDAUnknown.
147LEWISProbably Charlotte Lewis, or her parents David and Jeanette.
171STRAUMEProbably Miles Straume.
175COSTAUnknown.
195PACEProbably Charlie Pace.
197SKECKLERUnknown.
202HARGGUSUnknown.
222O'TOOLEUnknown.
231AMISTADUnknown.
233JONESProbably the US army soldier whose uniform was stolen and used by Charles Widmore in 1954.
251YARISUnknown.
272ORALINGOUnknown.
282AGUELLAUnknown.
285JENKINSProbably Steve Jenkins, a survivor who died in the flaming arrow attack.
291DOMINGOUnknown.
301MARSProbably Edward Mars, a survivor who died shortly after crash.
313LITTLETONProbably Claire or Aaron.
317CUNNINGHAMProbably the US army soldier whose uniform was stolen and used by an Other in 1954.
321FERNANDEZProbably Nikki Fernandez who was on board Oceanic Flight 815 but later killed.
335HENDERSONProbably Rose Nadler, the only known Henderson (maiden name).
346/396GRANTUnknown.
761FARADAYProbably Daniel Faraday.
AGUILAUnknown
CHANGProbably Pierre or LaraMiles is separately listed under Straume.
GARNERUnknown.
GOODSPEEDProbably one of the many of Goodspeeds, who include HoraceAmyOlivia, and Ethan.
LACOMBEProbably the Lacombe from the science expedition.
PICKETTProbably Danny Pickett or Colleen Pickett.
REYNOLDSUnknown.
SULLIVANProbably Sullivan, a survivor who died in the flaming arrow attack.
...ZKIPossibly Stuart Radzinsky or George Minkowski.

Comments (7)

first off. good job. even if it isn't finished. I have to say I doubt that our little boy talking to the MIB isn't jacob or aaron. Its for sure going to be a new kid. With his only story. I am really excited lost tying the numbers into the show again. But with that I hope it has more than a number tied to a certain person. Sure its cool that 4 8 15 16 23 42 is the number a lostie. But I'd like them to have more importance than that. Lost needs to give us more answers than what were getting. Its the last season and we have 15 episodes (14 weeks) to go. Also with that, did anyone else get the feeling that we're being set up for a crazy ending. Jack is with most our losties at the temple with the weirdo others. Claire is with jin. Sun is with the illana. And richard is our wild card. I'm calling it. that as jacob said, jin and sun's love is a special thing (They only seem to care about one another and no one around them). Which will lead to sun being used as bate for jin by the MIB. Or if claire has gone dark side she could capture jin and the MIB could use but jin and sun as bait on jack and our losties. IDK just food for thought

The boy is obviously a younger version of Jacob.

...and I say this because I believe the boy said "You know the rules - you can't kill him (referring to Sawyer)." That's what made the ladder scene so intense for me - because I thought he was planning on killing Sawyer.

I think it's very likely that Jacob is the boy. But if it is, why is he little? Older ghost Jacob is still around and talking to Hurley, so why the little one? I would not be surprised if it wasn't him though.

Here's my issue with the little kid being jacob. 1. its just too easy. Lost is never easy. But then again its Lost so it's all possible. 2. When we first see him (picture above)he is in the weird hand formation with blood on his hands. Im feeling with it being lost, and with this story growing. That the little boy is going to be related to jacob or the MIB, but its not them. Aaron maybe. But I just don't see it being jacob. 3. It takes away from hurleys importance seeing him dead.

I don't really think it's going to be Aaron. That just wouldn't make any sense. But I don't know, are they even going to make Aaron apart of the show any more? It seemed like he might have been a big deal a while ago, but not now. IDK, Jacob or someone else most likely.

Aaron will I think have a tie in somewhere. Same with walt. They have built him to be this "special" kid. I think aaron will tie in with claire's story. But not with this kid

Post a Comment