What Kate Does

Posted by Jason Moffat | Posted in | Posted on 10:59 PM

Episode 3 of Lost's final season aired Tuesday night entitled "What Kate Does." And what does Kate do, you ask? Run, run, bat her eyes and run some more. Typical Kate centric episode.  But really, your guess is as good as mine on this one. What does she do?

Initial Thoughts: To be honest, I was a little let down with this episode.  It answered few questions and the pace was slower than Hurley sitting on a turtle while that turtle was trying to run a marathon. It might just be that after last weeks hard hitting episode, anything would seem slow. I'm not a Kate-hater, in fact, I don't think I'm an anyone-hater on the show. But this episode really didn't give me my Lost fix for the week. There is a battle going on right now between all of the WKD haters and the WKD likers on the fan forums. It's getting pretty ridiculous. I feel like quitting the LostPedia because of all the trash talk. Anyways, there was some good things about this episode, so lets get on to them.

First off, Sayid is alive. And by the looks of it, he is himself. Not Jacob, not Locke, not Frogurt... At least as far as we know. Although he does seem a bit different. Maybe it's just me, but his accent seems really weird. It probably doesn't have to do with anything, but it was kind of bugging me. Also he doesn't seem like the bad A MF'er we've always known. Rather he seems kinda wussy when he was getting "tested" by Dogen AKA Genghis Khan, which is sad to say. We find out that Sayid is "infected" or has "darkness" inside him. Now this goes back to Rousseau and the French team, which we'll talk about later. 


In the flash-sideways we see a bunch of Kate on the run action. Meh. Kate puts a gun to Claire's head and then Claire says "wanna be best friends?" The most interesting part of this whole flash was seeing Dr. Ethan Goodspeed at the hospital where Claire was going into labor. Notice that his name was Goodspeed and not Rom. Interesting. I also liked when he said, "I don't want to stick you with any needles if I don't have to." So far nothing is connecting between the flash-sideways and the island timeline, except for brief deja vu moments when characters seem to know one another. But I have faith they will connect somehow. 



Sawyer seemed pretty pissed off at the world. He takes a gun and runs away. One thing I'm going to write down, just in case it actually happens, is when Sawyer was ripping out the floor boards in New Otherton, he pulled out a box and then took out what looked like a little black bag. The first thing I thought about was a little black bag that was found on the Adam and Eve corpses. Later it shows that it was a ring and he was going to propose to Juliet. But you never know, maybe there was some stones in that bag... Just sayin'. On a side note, I think Josh Holloway had an excellent episode. Probably some of his best acting in the whole series.

Finally we get to something that has been anticipated for a while. That is, Claire's return. Dogen tells Jack that his sister, Claire, also has this said sickness. When we finally see her in the last scene of the episode, she is looking pretty Rousseau-esque. Clousseau. Going back to the sickness which Rousseau talked about, she said that her whole team got sick and that's why she killed them. But was her team really sick or was she the one that had the sickness, just like Claire apparently does.


Now this was the best/worst part of the episode. Aldo. Rob McElhenney. Mac. If you are unfamiliar with the TV series It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, first off I would highly recommend watching it.  It is definitely my favorite comedy on TV. Way back in season 3 of Lost, Rob McElhenney, one of the stars and co-creator of Sunny, appeared for a brief time only to get the "Wookie prisoner gag" pulled on him. Well, he was back in this episode and more Aldo than ever. As much as I respect Rob McElhenney, I just could not take him seriously. I have seen every episode of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, some multiple times, and I couldn't help but think that Green Man was going to come running out of the jungle and kick someone in the nuts. So Mac, here's to you. Keep up with Sunny, but I'll just say it was a good thing you died in Lost. 



Questions: 
What is the Sickness?
Would the pill actually kill Sayid?
What's up with Claire?


Tell me what you think about these questions, or tell me some theories of your own.

Well that's about all I can spit out for now. Over all, What Kate Does wasn't the worst episode I've seen, but it definitely wasn't the best. It can only go uphill from here... Right? Until next time, I'm Doc Arzt and "Hey! I'm walkin' here!"


Comments (4)

Dude I think you need to address the whole Miles issue. Did you notice how he acted weird around Claire around the time she somehow survived being blown up in a house? Maybe she died got the sickness and thats why Miles took Aaron from her because he could sense it and it looked like he sensed something with Sayid. I must say I like Miles now. At first I thought he was a complete douche.... which he is. But in a good way. Also totally agree this episode was a bit of a snooze compared to last week and ya Claire and Kate becoming friends like that was weird. Oh well. Hopefully next week is better.

I have a good feeling that throughout the sideways flashes we will see may of the others, intertwined in the lives of the lost survivors, but still no idea how they will connect. The darkness, or sickness, which ever you feel does raise questions. But I'm not even sure it has a big part or its one of those lost side stories. Like the hatch and the numbers. It was all the mystery but turned out to if you don't push it bad things could happen but in the end the world goes on. But with all that said, I think miles knew Sayid was not dead and that something is different. After he is drowned Miles checks him out with his voodoo hand wave and looks puzzled like why the heck aren't you talking to me or where is your ghost. All in all, it was a little slow didn't really answer questions but what do you expect, a Q&A for the whole season? Until next tuesday have an awesome weekend.

I think the flash-sideways is the lives of our losties without jacobs influence. As we learned in the next episode *SPOILER* After Jacobs interaction with jack, locke, sawyer, etc. He led them down the path that led them to the island. But if you take him out of the equation. Then Desmond can't forget to push the button cause he probably isn't there. So the plane can't crash. And we're seeing how the lives of everyone would of been. IDK. At this point its all I got. I'm glad claire is back. I hope lost can let things make sense already. We're running out of episodes to be confused

Is that a spoiler for "The Substitute?" or next weeks? Anyhoo, I think we've all got some good ideas going around.

Post a Comment